Sunday 13th October 2019

Lay Led Service

11 am

Sunday 27th October 2019

Holy Communion

9.30 am



Bell Ringing

Bell ringing practice takes place at the church every Friday at 7.30pm.

Please contact David Stanford on 07711683792 for details.

New ringers very welcome




Village History


Brief History of Clopton

Clopton was recorded in the Domesday Book as Clopetuna. The Oxford Dictionary of Place Names states that the name comes from the Old english 'clopp(a)+tun' and means farmstead or village near a hill.

Edward 1 granted a charter to John de Wayland to hold a market and fair in Clopton. These ceased many years ago. A road called Market Hill was probably the place where they were held.

In the past the River lark was navigable between Clopton and the River Deben, one of the fields being named Clopton Dock.

The present village has no real centre and the four ancient manors of Kingshall, Brendhall, Rousehall and Wascolies are probably responsible for the small groups of houses and farms. Aerial photos show evidence of a medieval village behind the church.

White's Directory of 1844 lists a shoemaker, blacksmith, wheelwrightand thirteen farmers. The 1912 edition shows that Clopton had a postmaster, a schoolmaster, a builder, nineteen farmers, a shoemaker, a wheelwright, a storekeeper, a farm bailiff, a grocer, hardware merchant, furniture remover/carrier, a publican and an insurance agent.

The school closed in the late 1930's and The Crown public house was sold and became a private house in the 1990's.

Villagers worked hard to raise money for a new Village Hall to replace the old Mission Rooms beside the school. This was opened in the 1990's. There is a large playing field with play equipment for young children and two five a side goals.

For more information about the village see the

 Parish Council web site